Hello,

This blog contains my views on various things around me and my attempts at poetry and other stuff. Hope you find it an interesting read. Encourage you to leave your comments, after all each of us are entitled to our own way of thoughts.

Sep 10, 2011

Tindli dry fry

Tindli fry with curd rice, was a hit with my friends in college. My friend's mom would cook it and poor girl she would get to eat only 3 to 4 spoons of her own food. Once I started cooking, I was waiting to try this out. And one fine day I was able to get my hands on it. The kind of dish that I make with tindli uses a wee bit more of oil. However, the results are amazing.


Ingredients:
Tindli - sliced lengthwise into 4 pieces each
Onion - finely chopped
Garlic finely chopped (optional)
Cumin seeds
Oil
Garam Masala - a pinch
Chilly powder
Besan - 1 tbspn (Gram flour / Chickpea flour)
Salt to taste

What to do:
1. Heat oil in a wok. Add cumin seeds and allow it to sputter
2. Add onions, garlic and then the sliced tindli pieces
3. Fry the tindli for 10 min and then add half the amount of salt you want to use for the dish. Allow it to fry well ( The skin starts turning yellowish brown), by stirring occasionally
4. Add the garam masala powder, red chilly powder and rest of the salt
5. Add little water in case the tindli is taking time to cook and close the lid of the wok ( reduce the heat, else it will stick to the bottom of the wok)
6. Once the tindli is cooked, make sure the water is used up and then add the last ingredient - besan
7. Again,fry it well till the tindli shrinks and loses all the moisture

Hints:
1. Tomatoes can also be used
2. Instead of making it dry fry, you can choose to make it with masala
3. The thinner the tindli slices are, the faster it cooks

This dish goes well with rice and sambar / curd rice / chapati. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment